Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Day 11- Happy New Year

I took some time off for the Holidays.  When I originally started my 20 days of being real I intended them to be 20 consecutive days, but shortly after starting I failed to realize 1) that 20 consecutive days is a bit intense since sometimes when I write I even need a day or two to process what I've put from my heart to this blog and 2) Christmas and New Years with a baby are a little more exhausting than I thought they would be.

So, I showed myself a little grace and took a hiatus.  I hope you have had time to recover from the busyness of the holidays but I hope that you were blessed each crazy minute.  Tonight I want to reflect a little and dream a little for the year to come.  So, here goes...

Have you ever had a year where in looking back you realized that it held not only some major, life changing moments but also moments where you were becoming who you were always meant to be?  Besides 1998, the year Jesus got a hold of my heart, I don't think I could say that about any other year.  Until now.

2012 holds the buying of our first house, the birth of our first baby, the faith step to quit my job and be a stay at home mama and the decision to take risks, write, and be real.  Looking back there are moments that are so tender, in a sweet, candy coated kind of way and there are moments that are tender in a, the band aid isn't ready to come off yet, kind of way.

The thread though, that ties all of those moments together, the sweet ones and the hard ones, is the thread of God's presence.  Looking back I know that God was there.  I was thinking about His provision and His presence in my life this year and as I peeled sweet potatoes tonight it almost brought me to tears.  The days leading up to Sully's birth I was so scared.  Scared of the unknown.  But God kept speaking to my heart, "Not by might nor by power but by my Spirit, Says the LORD Almighty." Zechariah 4:6  And when Ryan and I wrestled with me quitting my job the whisper over my spirit was, "Trust me."

It wasn't an easy year.  But it was a great year.  And here is my take away that I am bringing with me into this new year: I will walk the path God wants me to, whether it requires joyous praise, or praise through the tears and feet full of blisters from the rocky path, because there is nothing greater in this life than knowing God and doing life with Him.

I don't know what your past year held.  But from reading the news I know it could very well have held loss, pain, suffering, grief, and loneliness.  It could have held joy, new beginnings, routine, a promotion, or moments that have defined who you are and what you believe for better or for worse.  Take some time to reflect but don't dwell.  2013 is here.  Don't look too long back at what was and miss what God has for you right here, right now.

In fact, don't spend too long gazing at your circumstances and miss the One that lovingly looks on you and wants to walk with you through this coming year.  God is with you.  And if He's with you, then He's for you. Let that truth settle over you.

And now, let's dream.  At the end of this year what is the one thing you would hope to be able to declare from the rooftops?  I want to know Christ more.  To love Him more.  To take more risks with Him, truly confident of who I am in Him.  I'm not there yet.  But He's got a whole year to work on me!

Happy New Year's sweet ones!













1 comment: